When meal prepping comes to place, sometimes it can be boring, and can actually take more patience and time to prepare it. But on the good note, it makes cooking easy and trasty.!! And if what’s on your table is tasty, there is nothing more satisfying than that.!!
There is probably a thousand versions of sambar powder. This is one:
- 6 tbsp channa dal or split chick peas
- 6 tbsp urad dal or split black gram(split black gram which is actually white in colour)
- 6 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp methi or fenugreek seeds
- 1 1/2 cup of coriander seeds
- About a good 200-250 dried red chilies, preferably Kashmiri red chilies
- A tbsp of oil
Heat a deep pan with a tbsp of oil on very low flame. Add mustard seeds, and wait patiently till the mustard seeds are well-done, now one by one add all the other ingredients, and wait right there and keep stirring till all the grams and seeds are crisp and smell awesome.
Some like to add a pinch of asafoetida or hing and about a cup of dried grated coconut, but I like the fresh taste of it and would rather add it while actually cooking.
Allow it to cool, and turn them it to a beautiful powder using a blender.! It need not be a fine powder.!
This could be helpful to you for about half a year.!! Depending upon how much of a sambar fanatic you are….